# # The Corey Fire Hydrant

Brother, I Can See Your Skull.

Brother, I Can See Your Skull. - The Coreyshead Blog

The Corey Fire Hydrant

Open The Corey

A couple of years back, a friend sent me a picture message on my phone of a Corey fire hydrant. The top had “The Corey” cast in relief upon it. I was intrigued. I’d never seen or heard of such a thing. He’s sent me an image of another, since.

This last weekend, I was traipsing around Seattle with some friends when I realized there were “Corey” hydrants everywhere. Most were encrusted with layers and layers of paint. The design of the plug is obviously antique yet, here they are, still in service. I took a few pictures and decided to do some research as well.

Rensselaer Valve Manufacturing Company was located in Troy, New York and manufactured fire hydrants from the 1880’s until around 1969. Their earliest hydrant was patented in 1889.

There is some debate as to whether the List 90 model, which has “THE COREY” cast onto its bonnet, is the first or second model to go into production at the plant but it most certainly dates back to before 1895. The hydrant is named after its inventor, William W. Corey of St. Louis, Missouri.

As was my experience in Seattle, and my friend’s in Oak Harbor, Rensselaer fire hydrants can still be found in service throughout the United States. Out of service units are considered collectible.

Damn if I don’t want one.

Tags: , , , , ,

10 Responses to “The Corey Fire Hydrant”

1. Lowranger (Pete) says:

I just stumbled onto your Corey Hydrant Thread.

I’ve got a “The Corey” Hydrant that was here(Vancouver, Wash) when I bought my house.

This type

Actual images at my Image Shack Account

Note- Image Shack seems to be having technical issues right now, 07/24/13 4:45 pm

Make me an offer.

You pick up.

2. Ted says:

I have one laying in my back yard says 1885 on the casting, Cory on top. It is one piece not a bolt base. I could send you some pictures if interested.

3. Fred says:

Guys,

i am lookingfor corey hydrant if you have it in philippines we will buy at least 10 pcs……

thanks and seriously speaking,

FRED

4. wdf says:

Guys,

i am looking for corey hydrant if you have it in philippines we will buy at least 10 pcs……

thanks,

FRED

5. Steven Ward says:

I have one in front of my business “The Fire Plug’ and someone just plowed it down yesterday. Major damage to their car. Does anyone know what “A Corey” is worth ?

6. Tim Grube says:

I am doing an amateur restoration on a Corey hydrant and I haven’t been able to specifically identify the model. It doesn’t have bolt hole around the perimeter of the bonnet. There are however, bolt holes on the flared portion of the barrel. Could I have mis-matched parts? Clueless in Seattle

7. Hey Tim – I wish I knew the answer to your question but know less than you about them. Sorry
    – and good luck!

8. Doug Droppa says:

I am a borough councilman in the small town of Galeton, PA. We have a Corey hydrant we are replacing. We are trying to find someone who wants to buy it. Let me know if you are interested. Email me ad I will send you photos.